Expanding Medicaid is common sense

Under the Affordable Care Act passed by Congress, states have a choice – expand Medicaid to cover more of the nation’s uninsured with minimal impact on state budgets, or don’t.

Expanding Medicaid isn’t just the moral thing to do, it’s also good fiscal and public policy.

Expanding Medicaid would provide much need health insurance to over 100,000 Iowans currently uninsured. And, the state wouldn’t have to pay a dime for the first two years of expansion.

After five years, the federal government would require states to pay 10% of the cost of expansion, while they pick up the remaining 90% – a much larger portion of the cost than for current Medicaid recipients (about 65%).

Your Senator and Representative need to hear from you on this issue.

Click here to share your story and urge them to embrace Medicaid expansion today.

A diverse mix of businesses, advocacy organizations and nonprofits are all calling on Iowa lawmakers to implement Medicaid expansion now. That’s because expanding Medicaid is good for Iowa’s businesses, county governments, health care providers and state coffers – not to mention the tens of thousands of everyday Iowans who will finally have health coverage.

Many of these groups will be at the state capitol Tuesday, Jan. 29 for a press conference to show the broad based support for expansion. Soon after, the Senate will introduce a bill to begin the process of Medicaid expansion in Iowa. Then it’s up the entire legislature and the Governor to do the right thing and work for swift passage this year.

Medicaid expansion is good public policy, good economic policy and good Put People First policy.

 

Learn more

 

Take Action

  • Tuesday, Jan 29 9:30 am: Join AARP, Iowa Hospitals Association, CCI and other allies for a press conference on Medicaid expansion The event will be held in Room 116 at the State Capitol. Contact us if you can attend.
  • Your Senator and Representative need to hear from you on this issue. Click here to share your story and urge them to embrace Medicaid expansion today.

 

Join the fight

  • Contact us for more information
  • Join as an Iowa CCI Action Fund member today or chip in $20 to support our organizing on this issue.
  • Sign up for our E-Mail Action list to get the latest updates
  • Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

 

Click LIKE and TWEET to forward this action alert along.

 

Tags: , , , ,