Six ways to FIGHT BACK this legislative session
The issues we care about most are under attack. We need to stand together and FIGHT BACK.
We expect a whole slate of bad bills to be pushed through this legislative session.
• Deregulate to pave the way for more factory farms, and make us pay to clean up Big Ag’s clean water crisis.
• Launch big-monied attacks on workers and wages, our environment, our voting rights and more.
• Slash funding for education, mental health, roads and infrastructure just so they can cut taxes for big business.
They have their agenda, but we have ours, too.
Here are six ways you can stand up and FIGHT BACK this legislative session.
At the Statehouse:
- Our Rally & Lobby Day is just the beginning. There will no doubt be critical times when we need to pack the Capitol to stop bad bills – from putting a real face on issues in sub-committee meetings to sending a strong, powerful message at public hearings.
Are you available to come to Des Moines during the session? Make your voice heard and be part of our rapid response Legislative Action Team! Contact Jess at email@example.com for more information.
From your home/home district:
2. Sign up for our emails
Things happen fast during the session, and email is the quickest way to communicate. We’ll let
you know when your call, email, or attendance can have the biggest impact. Send in the enclosed slip or sign up online at www.cciaction.org. Know any friends or family who’d like our updates, too? Forward our emails to them and ask them to subscribe!
3. “Statehouse dig-in: Ready to Resist!” webinar-Thurs, January 19 at 7 pm
Hear our in-depth take on what we expect at the Statehouse from seasoned CCI Action organizers
Bridget Fagan-Reidburn and Jess Mazour. Learn about the bad bills we expect to fight, our priorities for
the session, and how you can resist in your area and at the Capitol. Come with questions and
be prepared to get fired up! To participate, RSVP by emailing Bridget at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Show up at your local legislator coffees
Throughout the session, usually on Saturdays, legislators hold short meetings (or “coffees”) with constituents in their home districts. This is an important space to engage your legislators.
Ask them where they stand on key issues—like clean water, a living wage, and voter ID laws—and pressure them to vote to put People & Planet First.
They need to hear from you!
If you hear of any upcoming coffees in your area, let us know so we can help spread the word.
Contact us for a list of key questions to ask, and please let us know how your conversations go!
5. Join our Letters to the Editor Team
Letters to the Editor are a free, easy, and effective way to keep our message hot in the media
— plus, they put added pressure on legislators when published in their district.
There will be a lot of bad bills this session, so it’s important to challenge them and lift up our vision for Iowa.
6. Volunteer at our upcoming phonebanks
We’ll be calling Iowans in key districts and inviting them to take action when it counts the most. Phonebanks help us build people power, educate more Iowans on issues that impact them, and get more people to weigh in on important bills. Phonebanks will be held on Tuesdays starting on Jan. 31. Come to the CCI Action headquarters in Des Moines (it’s fun!) or make calls from home!
There is no-doubt that we have a lot of tough fights ahead of us, but together, we know that tough organizing and PEOPLE-POWER WIN.
LIKE and SHARE to join the #IAResistance